The deadline to return census forms has passed, but data collection continues. Starting May 1 in most areas, door-to-door census takers will fan out across the country. The census taking will continue through July.
Here is how to identify census employees during the 2010 Census. Sworn Census Bureau employees will:
• Wear official identification badges with the words “U.S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE,” the name of census taker and the words “U.S. CENSUS BUREAU.” A census taker might also carry a black bag with the words “U.S. CENSUS BUREAU” written on it.
• Provide you with supervisor contact information and/or the local census office telephone number upon request. You can call these telephone numbers to verify that the person at your door is a sworn census employee.
• Ask only about the questions that appear on the 2010 Census form. You can find these questions by going to www.2010census.gov.
• Not ask for donations, bank account numbers, the amount of money you have in the house, Social Security numbers or credit card numbers.
• Not contact you by e-mail, although they might telephone you in some cases.
• Not ask about citizenship status.