In 2012, there were a number of crimes that took place, which were heartbreaking, flat-out ridiculous, and outrageously shocking. Here, NewsOne looks back at some of the most-unbelievable criminals of 2012.
1. George Zimmerman: Imagine killing a young boy just because he sported a hoodie and happened to be Black? Well George Zimmerman, fatally shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin on February 26th as the youth was strolling outside in a gated community and “armed” with a bag of Skittles and bottled ice tea. The self-appointed neighborhood watchman spotted Martin, deemed him “suspicious,” called police, then took matters in to his own hands. Zimmerman’s claim of self-defense turned out to be bogus. How do you claim self-defense when you are the pursuer? Zimmerman, who was arrested and charged with second-degree murder, has had his trial set for June 10th of next year.
Listen to Zimmerman’s 911 call here:
RELATED: NewsOne’s Coverage of Trayvon Martin
2. Rudy Eugene: The poster child for the hallucinogenic bath salts craze is without a doubt Rudy Eugene. On May 26th, when a naked Eugene violently assaulted Ronald Poppo, 65, a Miami-area homeless man, by gnawing off most of his face, the world could not quite understand what happened. Eugene, 31, who became known as the “Miami Zombie” was shot to death by police after his 18-minute-long savage facial chewfest. Police sources speculated that Eugene might have been under the influence of a street drug like “bath salts,” but toxicology reports were only able to identify marijuana in Eugene’s system. The ultimate cause of his horrifyingly bizarre behavior still remains unknown.
Want to Keep Up With NewsOne.com? LIKE Us On Facebook!
Watch Eugene attack Poppo here:
RELATED: NewsOne’s Miami Zombie Coverage
3. Black Madam: Padge Victoria Windslowe, 42, otherwise known as the “Black Madam,” was arrested and charged with third-degree murder, conspiracy, reckless endangerment, and other violations in March for the February 2011 death of Claudia Seye Aderotimi, 20. The Black Madam injected Aderotimi with a series of fatal silicone butt injections at a Philadelphia-area airport hotel. Windslowe was known for throwing “pumping parties,” which took place in hotels or at private residences. She would charge clients (mostly exotic dancers hoping to enhance their money-makers) $1,000 for four silicon butt injections that would make their ordinary butts bootylicious. Windslowe has performed at least 14 cosmetic surgeries, moving locations and using different names to avoid detection. The non-medically trained woman would then close her patient’s wounds with Krazy Glue. The “Black Madam” remains in jail on a $750,000 bond.
Watch the Black Madam get arrested here:
RELATED: NewsOne’s Black Madam Coverage
4. Na Cola Darcel Franklin: Instead of looking forward to a wonderful honeymoon with her would-have-been hubby, Billy Rafeal Brewster, 36, instead stabbed him in the heart by mistake eight hours before their nuptials last August, after they got in to a heated argument at their Whitehall Township, Pa., apartment where they had been living together for a year. Franklin, charged with criminal homicide in Brewster’s death, and is being held in a county prison without bail.
5. Diamond Pender and Jacquel O’Neal: Teen Mom Diamond Pender (pictured left) , 18, and Jacquel O’Neal (pictured right), 18, were cuffed in August on child sexual abuse and assault charges. An investigation was launched by Copperas Cove Texas Child Protective Services upon receiving a tip about suspected abuse with regards to Pender’s 7-month-old daughter. The couple was jailed when investigators discovered that the infant girl had been bleeding from her vagina and that Pender “knew about the bleeding but did not take the child to the hospital because she did not want to get the authorities involved.” Doctors determined that the child had been sexually abused, suffered from severe vaginal bleeding and tearing, and needed surgery to repair it. The baby also had fractures in both legs, a burn on her abdomen, three broken ribs, and bruising.